ipw3945 WLAN driver

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 18:33:00 PST 2007

On 1/17/07, Nuno Antunes <nuno.antunes at gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/19/06, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2006 09:15:38 GMT, Johannes Hofmann <Johannes.Hofmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger at netcologne.de> wrote:

> > > Ok, I take this as "no" ;-)
>
> I did a preliminary port several months ago:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/wpi.tbz
>
> It is known to crash some place arround firmware loading.  I do not
> have hardware to keep going, so if you are interested, you can
> continue it or start from scratch (NetBSD's wpi port may be a better
> start point than OpenBSD's)
>
> I will be glad to commit it, if you can knock it out :-)
>
> Best Regards,
> sephe

Hello Sephe,

I have the hardware and I am willing to test this and try to make it
work on my laptop. I tweaked your preliminary port a bit so that it
compiles on HEAD. The interface is correctly detected when I load the
module. But now I'm stuck. How do I upload the firmware? I've
installed pkgsrc sysutils/wpi-firmware.
I tried the following but I get an error:

class# ipwcontrol wpi0 -f /usr/pkg/libdata/if_wpi/ipw3945.ucode
ipwcontrol: Can't load /usr/pkg/libdata/if_wpi/ipw3945.ucode to
driver: Bad address
wpicontrol is needed to upload firmware into wpiX.  umm, I forgot to
put wpicontrol in that tarball.  I will put it on leaf once I get
home.  Please prepare to panic once you have uploaded the firmware and
'ifconfig wpi0 up' ;]
There are very informative guide about how to debug:
http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/Development
Best Regards,
sephe
--