help over "rsync vs cvsupd perfmance"

Karthik Subramanian karthik301176 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 22:39:22 PST 2007

On 1/1/07, Saverio Iacovelli <iacovelli_mail at yahoo.it> wrote:
1) What meaning "raw cvsup vs. raw rsync"?
2) What is "raw"
Um, I just meant cvsup vs. rsync without ssh. Rsync can talk to the
rsync daemon that runs on the remote server, I'd think this is the
best way that you can use rsync. I don't know enough about cvsup to
say anything like that, though.
For using ssh/rsh with rsync, you just need to do the following:

rsync -e <ssh/rsh> <other options>

And yes, probably the most important test is seeing how fast partial
updates work, like Justin said.
One other (not so important) thing you might want to try is to see
what happens when you try to update say, 1.6 to 1.6 - ideally you
should get a near-zero download. It'd be interesting to see how much
data is actually transferred by cvsup and rsync.
Hope this helps,
K.