DragonFly testing

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Feb 21 18:24:20 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Gergo Szakal wrote:

> Regarding other parts of the log: as a freebsd-user, you should have had
> some basic idea on getting the pkgsrc tree and unpacking it (although I
> don't know what permits DF developers to include it on the CD, maybe
> licence?

The pkgsrc infrastructure is BSD licensed. The individual patches for
various software are generally just the same license as the software they
patch.

> Or a /usr/sbin/getpkgsrc script would probably do as well.) It
> is much like the ports tree, expect the (very stupid) interactive
> setting of build options (this was one of the reasons I dropped
> freebsd).

pkgsrc does not prompt for build options like FreeBSD Ports. (But pkgsrc
does have build options that can be customized. It is a lot more
consistent that FreeBSD ports which are hit and miss on how to configure
stuff.)

> I have always considered the pkgsrc way of life quite
> straightforward, especially because I have FreeBSD and OpenBSD
> experience. Could you describe your pkgsrc problems more?
> (I admit that mplayer in pkgsrc tree is quite outdated.)

For mplayer, you may want to send-pr it or turn in a bug report so it gets
updated in pkgsrc. Or a polite note to the MAINTAINER.

  Jeremy C. Reed