VLAN help needed

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:49:22 PST 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:14:33 +0800
"Sepherosa Ziehau" <sepherosa at gmail.com> wrote:

Many thanks for your quick help again, Sephe.

> ifconfig iface0 up
> ifconfig vlan0 create
> ifconfig vlan0 vlan your_tag vlandev iface0
> # assign inet and netmask to vlan0

Quite straightforward, but still asking: I have to do this on all my interfaces, right?
Oh, and if I do packetfiltering, I still have to do that on the physical interface, right?
Do I have to 'addm' the vlan interfaces to bridge0, or the physical interfaces?

> If vlan tag mismatches for vlan packets, these vlan packets will be
> dropped, but if you are not using hardware vlan tagging, you can grab
> the to-be-dropped vlan packets using tcpdump.

OK, thanks. Will this method work with every kind of NIC (i. e. no hardware support is needed)?
Thanks a lot. I owe you a plethora of drinks now. :-)

--
Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
University Of Szeged, HU

/* Please do not CC me with replies, thank you. */