buildworld error v1.8 - undefined reference to `EVP_sha256'

j s joes1958 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 05:56:54 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, Sascha Wildner <saw at online.de> wrote:
j s wrote:
> Here's the error.  I have attempted building several times including
> from a cleaned /usr/src and cvsup with tag=.  and
> tag=DragonFly_RELEASE_1_8_Slip
<snip>

Hm, how do you build? Do you have other settings in make.conf?

I'm not able to reproduce this using the settings you gave.

Sascha
Hi Sascha,
Thanks for taking a look. I'm following the man build instructions.
I started with an empty /usr/src & cvsup -g -L 2 <file>,   The latest
cvsup I had set tag=DragonFly_RELEASE_1_8_Slip, then proceeded
directly to make buildworld.
I'm also attempting the upgrade from DragonFly 1.7.0-DEVELOPMENT #0.

I've set LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib, CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib in the
environment.
I didn't bother sending any more make.conf content because it is
pretty standard install config.  However, here you go just in case:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/make.conf,v 1.97.2.80 2003/02/15 16:34:56
trhodes Exp $
# $DragonFly: src/etc/defaults/make.conf,v 1.17 2006/07/02 16:03:42
swildner Exp $
#
#
#CPUTYPE=i686
#NO_CPU_CFLAGS= true    # Don't add -march=<cpu> to CFLAGS automatically
#NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true  # Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically
#
# The CCVER variable controls which GCC-version to use by default.  It
# should be set using ?= so as not to interfere with CCVER overrides from
# userland or the buildworld.  We currently recommend that an override NOT
# be set in /etc/make.conf and that gcc 3.4 not yet be used to build the boot
# blocks, boot loader, or the kernel.
#
#CCVER?=gcc34   # (use GCC 3.4, default)
#CCVER?=gcc40   # (use GCC 4.0, experimental, must define WANT_GCC40)
#
# Build gcc40 with world.  This won't make gcc40 the default compiler
#WANT_GCC40=yes
#
# CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
# Note that optimization settings above -O (-O2, ...) are not recommended
# or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
# nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" before submitting bug reports
# to the developers.
#
#CFLAGS= -O -pipe
#
# CXXFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C++ code.
# Note that CXXFLAGS is initially set to the value of CFLAGS.  If you wish
# to add to CXXFLAGS value, "+=" must be used rather than "=".  Using "="
# alone will remove the often needed contents of CFLAGS from CXXFLAGS.
#
# BDECFLAGS are a set of gcc warning settings that Bruce Evans has suggested
# for use in developing FreeBSD and testing changes.  They can be used by
# putting "CFLAGS+=${BDECFLAGS}" in /etc/make.conf.  -Wconversion is not
# included here due to compiler bugs, e.g., mkdir()'s mode_t argument.
#
BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
               -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
               -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
               -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings
#
# WARNS_WERROR causes -Werror to be added when WARNS is in effect.
#WARNS_WERROR=  yes
#
# To compile just the kernel with special optimizations, you should use
# this instead of CFLAGS (which is not applicable to kernel builds anyway).
# There is very little to gain by using higher optimization levels, and doing
# so can cause problems.
#
#COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
#
# Strip the file before installing.  Setting this to nothing will keep
# the debugging symbols in the installed files.
#STRIP= -s
#
# Compare before install
#INSTALL=install -C
#
# To build ppp with normal permissions
#PPP_NOSUID=    true
# To enable installing ssh(1) with the setuid bit turned on
#ENABLE_SUID_SSH=       true
#
# To use bsdtar as the standard tar.  The default is GNU tar.
#WITH_BSDTAR=   true
#
# To avoid building various parts of the base system:
NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND
#NO_CRYPT=      true    # do not build crypto code
#NO_CVS=        true    # do not build CVS
#NO_FORTRAN=    true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_GAMES=       true    # do not enter the games subdirectory
NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
#NO_IPFILTER=   true    # do not build IP Filter package
#NO_LIBC_R=     true    # do not build libc_r (re-entrant version of libc)
NO_LPR= true    # do not build lpr and related programs
#NO_MAILWRAPPER=true    # do not build the mailwrapper(8) MTA selector
#NO_MODULES=    true    # do not build modules with the kernel
#NO_OBJC=       true    # do not build Objective C support
#NO_OPENSSH=    true    # do not build OpenSSH
#NO_OPENSSL=    true    # do not build OpenSSL (implies NO_OPENSSH)
#NO_PKGTOOLS=   true    # do not build included package tools (for pkgsrc)
NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
#NO_SHARE=      true    # do not enter the share subdirectory
NO_X=           true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g. doscmd)
#NOINFO=        true    # do not make or install info files
#NOINFOCOMPRESS=true    # do not compress info files
#NOMAN=         true    # do not build manual pages
#NOMANCOMPRESS= true    # do not compress man pages
#NOPROFILE=     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
# To build sys/modules when building the world (our old way of doing things)
#MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true        # do not build modules when building kernel
#
# The list of modules to build instead of all of them.
#MODULES_OVERRIDE=      emulation/linux net/ipfw
#
# To avoid running MAKEDEV all on /dev during install:
#NO_MAKEDEV=    true
#
# The following controls building optional IDEA code in libcrypto.
# Patents are involved - you must not use this unless
# you either have a license or fall within patent 'fair use'
# provisions.
#
# *** It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to determine if you can use this! ***
#
# IDEA is patented in the USA and many European countries - thought to
# be OK to use for any non-commercial use.  This is optional.
WANT_IDEA=      YES     # IDEA (128 bit symmetric encryption)
#
# Default format for system documentation, depends on your printer.
# Set this to "ascii" for simple printers or screen
#
#PRINTERDEVICE= ps
#
# By default, the system will always use the keyboard/video card as system
# console.  However, the boot blocks may be dynamically configured to use a
# serial port in addition to or instead of the keyboard/video console.
#
# By default we use COM1 as our serial console port *if* we're going to use
# a serial port as our console at all.  Alter as necessary.
#
#   COM1: = 0x3F8, COM2: = 0x2F8, COM3: = 0x3E8, COM4: = 0x2E8
#
#BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=  0x3F8
#
# The default serial console speed is 9600.  Set the speed to a larger value
# for better interactive response.
#
#BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED= 115200
#
# By default the 'pxeboot' loader retrieves the kernel via NFS.  Defining
# this and recompiling /usr/src/sys/boot will cause it to retrieve the kernel
# via TFTP.  This allows pxeboot to load a custom BOOTP diskless kernel yet
# still mount the server's '/' (i.e. rather than load the server's kernel).
#
#LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT= YES
#
# If you're behind a firewall and need FTP or HTTP proxy services for
# ports collection fetching to work, the following examples give the
# necessary syntax.  See the fetch(3) man page for details.
#
#FETCH_ENV=     FTP_PROXY=ftp://10.0.0.1:21
#FETCH_ENV=     HTTP_PROXY=http://10.0.0.1:80
#
# If you want Kerberos 5, define this.
#WANT_KERBEROS= yes
#
# If you want to use the k5su utility, define this to have it installed
# set-user-ID.
#ENABLE_SUID_K5SU=      yes
#
# CVSup update flags.  Edit SUPFILE settings to reflect whichever distribution
# file(s) you use on your site (see /usr/share/examples/cvsup/README for more
# information on CVSup and these files).  To use, do "make update" in /usr/src.
#
#SUP_UPDATE=     yes
#SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
#SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
#SUPHOST=        cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
#SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-src-supfile
#DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile
#
# top(1) uses a hash table for the user names.  The size of this hash
# can be tuned to match the number of local users.  The table size should
# be a prime number approximately twice as large as the number of lines in
# /etc/passwd.  The default number is 20011.
#
#TOP_TABLE_SIZE= 101
#
# Documentation
#
# The list of languages and encodings to build and install
#
#DOC_LANG=      en_US.ISO8859-1 ru_RU.KOI8-R
#
# sendmail
#
note:
remaining sendmail configuration items are
all preceeded by the hash mark '#'