Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Feb 19 14:55:39 PST 2007

:I think it's important to ask oneself these questions since it's a shame
:to waste time on something that nobody can ever appreciate. On the other
:hand, in Matt's and many other's vision clustered computing will perhaps
:be an integral part of the future, just like many cored processors will be
:in all personal computers of the future. Because of this, only now are
:people scrambling and trying to figure out how they can squeeze more juice
:out of their programs and operating systems in SMP environments.

     Believe me, I think about this all the time.  I frankly have no idea
     whether 'DragonFly The OS' itself will survive the test of time,
     but I guarentee you that everything we develop for 'DragonFly The OS',
     especially more portable entities such as filesystems and cluster
     protocols, *WILL*.

     The moment you leave the context of the operating system codebase and
     enter the context of userspace, you guarentee code survivability.

     This is, ultimately, what the DragonFly oprating system is intended
     support... the SYSLINK clustering protocol will allow all the major
     pieces to be moved into userland.  And, I will add, that the execution
     context piece can *ALREADY* be controlled by userland, with only a modest
     number of new system calls (DragonFly's VMSPACE_*() system calls)...
     our virtual kernel is proof of that.

:Jokingly: I think the notion of functional individual computers
:helping each other out sounds a bit like neourons in a brain. The
:technological singularity is coming, nothing can stop it!

    Well, we can dream.  Unless the world self destructs, AI in all its
    Sci-fi glory will become a reality.  It will happen in the next 80-200
    years, most likely.  However, I won't be leading that particular project.
    Hehe.  I'm more an infrastructure guy.

					<dillon at backplane.com>