Gcc-ada errata?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 19 13:49:44 PST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Bill Hacker wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:34:37 +0800
> From: Bill Hacker <wbh at conducive.org>
> Newsgroups: dragonfly.users
> Subject: Gcc-ada errata?
>
> Anyone seen this (DFLY 1.8 REL, Celeron 1 GHz, 512MB SDRAM, IBM/Hitachi PATA
> 20GB HDD):
>
> =====
> # cd /usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc34-ada
>
> # bmake install -DUSE_GCC34

> => Required installed package gcc34>=3.4.5nb1: NOT found

I thought I would try to build it on NetBSD, but then I noticed
this at the beginning of the gcc34 build:

The following variables will affect the build process of this package,
gcc34-3.4.6nb1.  Their current value is shown below:

        * BUILD_ADA = NO

So, this feels like catch 22.  The makefile says it needs an ada compiler
to bootstrap the new ada compiler, but the new compiler by default does
not build ada. Seems to me even if the gcc34 package did build okay, you
still need an ada compiler.  Anyone here think this should work?