Installing Dragonfly 1.8 hangs BIOS completly

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Feb 19 09:12:54 PST 2007

Hi,

Just a few minutes ago, I installed Dragonfly 1.8 onto my laptop.
Then I rebooted, and the BIOS hung up completely after showing that it
detected the harddisk and cdrom. I powered down and tried again, but
that didn't worked either. I couldn't even boot a CD or anything else or
couldn't even enter the BIOS setup.

The only thing that worked was to remove the harddisk physically and
then pluging it in a few seconds after the BIOS crossed the detection of
the devices. Using this method, I booted the Dragonfly installer cd and
used the disk tools to wipe out the beginning of the harddisk. Then I
rebooted again and voila, I could boot normally (without removing the
harddisk). Puh!

Now I tried a second time to install Dragonfly 1.8, but after I reboot
the BIOS hangs again!

I know that the BIOS should not hang up itself, but on the other hand
that didn't happen with any other operating system I installed on my
laptop (FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly 1.6). So I think there is something
wrong in the 1.8 version. Any hints?

Regards,

  Michael