jail/virtual servers and multiple network interfaces

Jeffrey Williams jeff at sailorfej.net
Thu Feb 1 23:04:27 PST 2007

I regularly make use of jail in FreeBSD for hosting virtual servers
(typically for application development and testing, and infrastructure
server configuration testing).

One thing I have always found frustrating is the inability to set up a
additional network interfaces on the machine so that they can be
dedicated to the jailed servers, in such a way that all the host's
network traffic stays on the primary interface, and all the jail's
network traffic uses its own dedicated interface.  i.e. a virtual
network stack, for the jailed server, that can be bound directly to a
separate NIC than the one used by the host environment.

I did read a  2003 Usenix white paper by Marko Zec on this
topic(http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix03/tech/freenix03/full_papers/zec/zec_html/index.html),
but have not found any mature implementations.

Anyways, I was curious if this type of functionality is being
implemented, or in consideration for implementation, in DragonFlyBSD?

Thanks
Jeffrey Williams