clustered (file) system on multiple host

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 1 07:55:04 PST 2007

Reading the list about vkernel, clustering and file system I've began to
wonder.

How on earth can you make a cluster without paying for the extreme
overhead for locking everything?

Is it a question of locking more specific or is there some 'magical'
technology that helps you out of that. Logical speaking (and this more a
problem of my knowledge) there always must be some overhead since all
machines must know at the same time what the state of an object is, thus
creating 'much'(?) traffic for synchronization. So I guess that there
must be some tricks to avoid too much traffic.

Or do I just get the concept of clustering wrong (I see it as
high-availability combined with load-balancing)?

--
mph