HEADSUP: ipfw will be switched from ipfw1 to ipfw2

Joseph Garcia bsd_usr at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 10:41:19 PDT 2007

Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
Hi all,

NOTE: This is _not_ a request/headsup to nuke ipfw; I don't want to
discuss nuking ipfw in this thread.
Ipfw will be switched from ipfw1 to ipfw2 after two weeks on HEAD.
HEAD ipfw users, please apply following patch and test:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/ipfw2.diff
You need to make buildkernel and buildworld!!

Ipfw2 rule syntax is compat with ipfw1, so this move should not cause
too much trouble with any existing ipfw configuration.
BTW, 1.10 RELEASE ipfw users are also encouraged to switch from ipfw1
to ipfw2 by putting IPFW2 in /etc/make.conf and options IPFW2 in
kernel configure file.
Best Regards,
sephe
I haven't used IPFW in many many years. I remember the good old days
(like 10 years ago) before having a cable modem I would have a FreeBSD
box running user ppp with natd and ipfw to firewall and share my modem
connection. Yes it was slow, but it worked.

Then I moved onto cable modems and I ditched the user ppp and just had
natd with IPFW. Then I ditched using IPFW for awhile, until pf was born.
I gave that a try and have been hooked ever since.

Being an old IPFW users, can you explain the differences between IPFW
and IPFW2? I know that FreeBSD has been running IPFW2 for quite
sometime, but like I said I haven't really used any version of IPFW for
quite some time.

Perhaps, you can point out a link that describes the differences. That
might be easier for everyone.

Thanks!

Joseph Garcia