Release 1.10 update - 31-Jul-07

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Aug 1 22:24:01 PDT 2007

:> For pkgsrc, why couldn't we just include a recent snapshot of /usr/pkgsrc
:> on the CD (much like how FreeBSD provides a snapshot of /usr/ports).  The
:> tree that I updated last night is 387MB uncompressed, 195MB compressed.
:
:I agree with this - not including pkgsrc shrinks the size of the download,
:but it's still 80-something meg, and you end up using the bandwidth anyway
:pulling pkgsrc down through anoncvs, which also requires a bunch of extra
:steps which are only documented in a few places.

    Not on the CD.  The CD is intended to be fairly lean and there's the
    simple fact that a pkgsrc snapshot, like ports, rapidly becomes dated.
    Nor do I consider it particularly useful when a package build needs to
    fetch additional stuff from the internet anyhow.

    What would be useful would be to create a /usr/pkgsrc/Makefile with
    some simple targets to acquire and maintain a pkgsrc tree so people
    don't have to go poking around figuring out how to get it.  I will
    put something like that in place for this release since it will take
    another day or two to test Simon's base package updates.

    After this release I would also like to see a bit of a cleanup of
    the nrelease build, such as creating separate targets that just
    build make variables like WITH_INSTALLER instead of rollup targets
    (e.g. 'make installer release' instead of 'make installer_release'),
    which would allow us to do something like 'make installer dvd release'
    or 'make installer dvd quickrel' without having to create a
    multiplication of make targets.

					<dillon at backplane.com>