SMP vkernel speed on UP host

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Aug 4 22:07:23 PDT 2007

:I know UP hosts are so passe' these days,
:
:But does anyone else think SMP vkernels are a bit slow
:on UP hosts?
:
:possibly due to the 'io processor' & context switching, methinks.
:
:if correct, not sure if this is worth any code changes or
:manual entry notes..
:
:or perhaps I should just update my test network to the GHZ range .. :)
:
:thoughts?

    Well, SMP vkernels are curiosities on UP boxes, and even on SMP
    boxes they aren't going to be all that efficient.  Their best use
    right now is to help us test SMP issues within the kernel.

    We do need a better solution for I/O, for sure.

					<dillon at backplane.com>