Release 1.10 update - 31-Jul-07

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Wed Aug 1 20:34:18 PDT 2007

"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> wrote in message
46B04686.5040600 at fs.ei.tum.de">news:46B04686.5040600 at fs.ei.tum.de...
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     No.  We only include kernel sources on the CD.  Generally speaking
there
> >     isn't much of a point including anything else on a CD, but I would
love
> >     to see an nrelease target for a DVD which preinstalls all sorts of
> >     nice packages and contains the full pkgsrc tree and full sources to
> >     everything, uncompressed and ready to use.
>
> For that we'd need some sort of compressed filesystem, otherwise there
won't be much fitting even on a DVD.  But hopefully we'll get to a userland
interface this year and then the world is open to all kind of fancy
filesystem ideas.

For pkgsrc, why couldn't we just include a recent snapshot of /usr/pkgsrc on
the CD (much like how FreeBSD provides a snapshot of /usr/ports).  The tree
that I updated last night is 387MB uncompressed, 195MB compressed.

As a seasoned FreeBSD user, it took me a while to figure out how to get the
pkgsrc tree on my machine.  I didn't consider installing binary packages as
my experience with RPMs has left me jaded.  (I'm sure pkgsrc is much, much
better than the mess of RPMs.)

If we provided the option to install the pkgsrc tree, then folks could at
least build/install packages from sources.  Once their tree gets stale
enough, the can figure out how to update it with cvs (just as folks in
FreeBSD land have to figure out how to use csup/cvsup) or investigate how to
use binary packages.

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton