A great BSD-compatible UPS?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Apr 1 20:51:38 PDT 2007

:Hello,
:
:Thanks for informing about the "apcupsd", it seems
:quite interesting.
:
:Anyone can recommend me some models for a home server
:installation with a some low power machines and a few
:powered ones (two classic UltraSPARC machines, a 64bit
:X86 with more than four SATA2 HDD...)?
:
:Do I need one UPS with SNMP if wanting to use the same
:UPS for different machines? It can be used as a
:watchdog for the connected machines?
:
:I'm thinking to adquire some kind of expandible UPS
:able to add more batteries for more VA (if exists),
:because probably this will be quite expensive. I
:lately readed a lot of documents about UPS but still
:confused by the overload of products and very
:expensive prices.
:
:Regards.

    I don't know if the UPSes with USB ports are supported, but the ones
    with serial ports are definitely supported.

    apcupsd can be set up as a master/slave, where one machine communicates
    with the physical UPS and is the master, and the other machines take
    their shutdown queues from the first machine.