src/contrib/ policy

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Sep 18 19:15:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, September 18, 2006 9:41 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Well, we don't always adhere to that policy, but the main reason
> is so we can bring the new version in and get it working before we
> hook it all up into the build, and so we can flip back to the old
> version if we screw up.  I suppose it also keeps us honest to a
> degree.. if we do fresh imports we know that the concept of doing
> fresh imports works.  But it is mostly a convenience.

How likely is it that we would need to take the major step of backing out
a new version?  Since we're adding third-party software, it's known to
work (though on other platforms) at that point, and if it's broken,
there's usually a patch that follows from the vendor.

The reason I ask is that our CVS repository is getting pretty large.

leaf:/home/justin> du -sh /cvs
765M    /cvs

Is that an accurate measure?