KDE and OpenSSL = Broken

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Sep 13 04:34:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 12:24:05PM -0700, walt wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:14:44AM -0700, walt wrote:
> >> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
> >> For example, when I search my /usr/pkg/lib/kde3/ I find very few libs
> >> linked against libcrypto, and nothing that looks relevant to konqueror.
>
> > They are using dlopen only, not normal linkage.
>
> I don't understand the implications of that, unfortunately :o(

What KDE is doing is:
- dlopen of the libcrypto and libssl
- dlsym of each "interesting" symbol
- redirecting to those with the help of a proxy object
and esp. the first point completely defeats the purpose of shared
library versioning etc. In short: it sucks. Clueless idiots.

This is not a personal insult, just a technical.

Joerg