boot problem, disk mess.. thinking of suicide.

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Sep 27 14:54:15 PDT 2006

01072f0609270656w1bbfc02cna03b33288fb34b96 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>    <451aa967$0$787$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>    <451ac405$0$788$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>    <451ad6b6$0$788$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <17502.66.195.169.42.1159393558.squirrel at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Wed, September 27, 2006 3:53 pm, Bill Hacker wrote:
>

>>OTOH, we have decided to buy no more 3.5" HDD *anyway*.
>>
>>2.5" are now large enough, fast enough, and reasonably well priced enough
>>to allow us to put the redundant arrays into 1U, and on less power,
>>that we now need a 2U to hold, power, and cool.
>>
>>This isn't just 'green' awareness - there is a largish $$ jump in rack
>>rental per UPS power budget 'chunk', and all our gear is
>>upstream b/w-limited anyway, not HDD speed/capacity limited.
>

> Along the same lines, I'm looking forward to the point where RAM is cheap
> enough that you can create a multi-gigabyte disk from it.  If there's a
> battery backup, it'd be a darn fast/cool/light 'disk'.  Hitachi, I think
> it is, has 32G of flash available now.

There is a totally new (at silicon level) magnetic? phase-change? RAM just
coming out of the labs and going into sampling.

It has a longer write-cycle life than any current flash, and smaller cell size,
IIRC.

*Meanwhile* - my first personal HDD was a 5MB (mega, not giga), Rodime, and I
used 256 KB (kilo, not mega) RAMdisk on S-100 medical lab gear, 2 MB 'JRAM' on
my 386, so I have long been in the never-ending RAM-vs-HDD cycle.

If apps and file storage formats would just stop bloating, and a good
'projection' or direct-to-brain display come along, we could do all we need with
wristwatches.

And networked DFLY back to 'mothership' servers.

Meanwhile, I vote for acquiring a pleasant 'partner' with a nice personality,
giving *them* a computer and a cell phone to call you at the golf course of pub
when a decision is needed.

. ..Worked well for leaders of nations and industry even before cell phones.

OTOH, no computer I have ever worked with ever sued for 'palimony', quit to
become a fulltime housewife, or got pregnant, (though some seem to have shown
signs of PMS).

. ..so maybe we *are* better-off than Andrew Carnegie or Ivan the Terrible.

Bill