Default tar revisited

Oliver Fromme check+j5w3li00rs39q85l at fromme.com
Wed Sep 20 05:16:07 PDT 2006

Joseph Garcia wrote:
 > I guess there are other alternatives, but tape support would have been
 > nice. I can always use gtar still. I guess I can also learn to use the
 > alternatives (pax, etc) as well.

Or simply install gtar from pkgsrc.

 > P.S. I have this Compaq autochanger tape library. Anyone ever use and
 > autochanger on BSD before?

Sure.  I once used a 12-slot DDS autochanger with FreeBSD
(the changer appeared as /dev/ch0, which was supported by
Amanda etc.).  I still have a DDS2 drive at home -- without
autochanger, though -- which I use to backup important
stuff once in a while (in addition to CD-R and hot-swap
ATA disks).

Best regards
   Oliver