bsdstats.org

Oliver Fromme check+j5fsti00rs54ts57 at fromme.com
Mon Sep 11 09:47:30 PDT 2006

Geert Hendrickx wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Geert Hendrickx wrote:
 > >  > It's spyware.
 > >
 > > No, it's not.  All data is stored anonymously.  You can look at the
 > > program for yourself what kind of data is returned to the server.  It's
 > > no more than a simple shell script.
 >
 > I'll *never* install an OS (neither on a server nor a workstation) that
 > starts sending out stuff to the network *by default*, period.

That's fine.  But it's still not spyware.  :-)

It doesn't have to be enabled by default.  But it should be
an option along with all the other network-related settings
in the installer (interface configuration, NFS service, FTP,
rwhod, whatever).

FreeBSD once had an "installation counter" many years ago
(it's long dead and gone), which worked exactly like that,
i.e. after finishing the actual installation, sysinstall
asked whether it should be reported.  If you said "yes", an
e-mail was sent to some pseudo account.

 > Tomorrow some other BSD-counter arises somewhere else, are you going to add
 > all of them to the default install?

It's not like such counters are popping up every day.  This
is the only one currently in existence that I'm aware of.

Best regards
   Oliver