Postgresql HOWTO?

nida at musc.edu nida at musc.edu
Fri Sep 8 21:29:49 PDT 2006

Petr (and the others),

Thanks.  This just got a lot easier!

Adrian

Quoting Petr Janda <elekktretterr at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,
1) Uninstall all postgres packages from your machine
You can do step number 2 in 2 ways:
2a) echo 'PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes' >> /etc/mk.conf
or this way
2b) ln -s /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/pgsql /etc/rc.d/
The 'a' way is better imo.

2) Install databases/postgres_81
3) echo 'pgsql=YES' >> /etc/rc.conf
4) Start up pgsql: /etc/rc.d/pgsql start
5) Add pgsql superuser: su - pgsql
6) "createuser root" and follow instructions till it returns you back to
command line, make sure you make a superuser account. The instructions
will ask you what type of account you want to create.
7) type exit and enter, which takes you back to your root account.
8) createdb testdb;
9) cd /usr/pkg/pgsql/data
10) Open pg_hba.conf and play with permissions, learn how to set
permissions in pgsql.
After you create the super user you can add any other accounts with the
createuser command with your regular root account and you DONT need to
su - pgsql anymore.
Petr

Adrian M. Nida wrote:
All,

Today I got some time to actually work on some DF related things at
home.  I wanted to install Gallery [0] so I could share some pics to
family members (the other reason was that my DF box ran Gallery back
in the pre-1.2 days).  Happily, I found Gallery isn't in pkgsrc.
The source install consists of a bunch of php files, so I was fine
with that.

During the installation process, Gallery asks for a database
connection.  Thinking I had PostgreSQL [1] installed, I tried to run
it against that.  To my surprise I discovered that this box only had
the client, not the server, installed.  I completed a source install
of /usr/pkgsrc/postgresql80-server and tried to run it.

At this point, I discovered that pkgsrc does not install *any*
PostgreSQL startup files.  I have a bunch of sample config files in
/usr/pkg/share/
postgresql, but nothing that looks like a startup.  I'm also
assuming that the config files are supposed to go in
/usr/pkg/etc/postgresql.

My question is whether anyone out there has a PostgreSQL (8.0)
HOWTO?  I tried the combinations "pkgsrc postgresql howto" and
"netbsd postgresql howto" on Google [2] but neither returned
anything remotely useful.  Heck, at this point I'd appreciate just
some general pointers/clarifications.

As many of you know, I'm quite content writing a HOWTO (and slaving
through the labor of what works and what doesn't) from scratch.  I'm
just trying to figure out far "scratch" actually is.

Thanks,

Adrian

[0] http://gallery.sourceforge.net/
[1] http://www.postgresql.org/