shutdown on BSD and Linux

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Thu Sep 7 10:35:24 PDT 2006

On 2006-09-07 18:46, Oliver Fromme wrote:
PS:  By the way, recently someone suggested in a FreeBSD
mailing list that start scripts could be run in parallel
if they don't depend on each other (which rcorder(8) can
easily find out).  It would probably speed up booting.
However, I don't know if anyone is actually working on
implementing that.
I seem to recall that it was suggested for inclusion in DFly too but the
consensus of the developers were that boot-time is not important enough
to use a potentially "dangerous" method. Not that anyone thought it to
be especially dangerous but nor was it worth the effort. The reasoning
was that DFly would most likely be used on servers which are normally
not booted that often, however as I run it on my laptop I wouldn't mind
a faster boot :-)

--
Erik Wikström