Hints on kernel config for a dula pII/450 system anyone?

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 12:57:42 PDT 2006

I have a dual PII/450 system. I would like to run it as a filtering
bridge on a gigabit LAN. I have 2 Planet ENW-9607 (Marvell chip - sk) cards.

I have added the following extra options in addition to what is in GENERIC:

----------- config start -----------

# Bridging support
pseudo-device  if_bridge
# ALTQ
options         ALTQ            #alternate queueing
options         ALTQ_CBQ        #class based queueing
options         ALTQ_RED        #random early detection
options         ALTQ_RIO        #triple red for diffserv (needs RED)
options         ALTQ_HFSC       #hierarchical fair service curve
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       #priority queue
options         ALTQ_NOPCC      #don't use processor cycle counter
options         ALTQ_DEBUG      #for debugging
# PF
device          pf
device          pfsync
device          pflog
# Symmetric Multiprocessing support
options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

Does this seem OK to geeks? (I added all ALTQ support because there may
be situations when we need CBQ and there may be ones when we neeed PRIQ,
this depends on university situations - e. g. signup to exams when we
need to prioritize HTTPS traffic only over the other.)