shutdown on BSD and Linux

Freddie Cash fcash at webmail.sd73.bc.ca
Thu Sep 7 11:37:47 PDT 2006

On Thu, September 7, 2006 3:28 am, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> I've long had a question on the shutdown process.  Linux systems run
> a separate shutdown script for every process that was started at boot,
>  and can take a minute or two to shutdown.  FreeBSD and Dragonfly, as
>  far as I can tell, just kill all processes, flush buffers, unmount
> filesystems and shutdown/poweroff, which takes about 5 seconds.

Read the rc(8) man page.  There's a lot more going on then just "send
SIGTERM then SIGKILL to all processes" on BSD systems.  The big
difference is that Linux init systems show all the shutdown messages
for all the scripts, while BSD systems just show generic "Stopping all
processes" messages.

----
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash at xxxxxxxxxx                      helpdesk at xxxxxxxxxx