src/contrib/ policy

Peter Avalos pavalos at theshell.com
Mon Sep 18 17:44:23 PDT 2006

After searching through the archives to find the policy on
src/contrib/ I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why
we make a new directory for each version that gets imported.  I can
understand the "don't commit any changes to the vendor branch and
use the patch system for changes" policy, but why not import new
versions in the same directory under contrib/?  For example, if I
want to update ncurses, why not just import into src/contrib/ncurses/
and use the appropriate release tags on the vendor branch?  It seems
like we're adding a lot of bloat to the cvs repo the way we are
doing it now.

--Peter
pgp00004.pgp