NFS locking issues? (where to go for info?)

Jamie nospam at geniegate.com
Thu Sep 14 05:37:25 PDT 2006

Has anyone had much success with NFS locking? (where would one
go if they wanted to understand the details?)

I've read that it's been fixed for some time, that I need to run
rpc.statd and rpc.lockd (and in fact, mutt complains unless I run
these) I'm assuming 'statd' locks the local file and lockd talks
to statd when a remote wants a lock?

However, I did a test run, with a perl script that calls 'flock'
attempting to lock the file. (LOCK_EX)

It works, provided both instances are on the same machine (even if both
instances are accessing it via NFS) but if I try to lock across NFS, both
instances claim to have a lock at the same time.

I tried three machines, one local, two mounting via NFS, in all cases,
the locks were only respected by the local machine(s)

Actually, the "real problem" I was trying to track down is why things will
sometimes freeze temporarily (30 sec. or so) during file operations, it used to
do this with linux NFS server too, but in that case, I attributed it to an
ancient NFS server.

Seems to do the same with dragonfly (on writing, reading is fine)

While chasing that, I did the lock tests and got a surprise.

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
guhzo_42 at xxxxxxxxx (rot13)                User Management Solutions