Postgresql HOWTO?

Adrian M. Nida nida at musc.edu
Fri Sep 8 19:41:31 PDT 2006

All,

Today I got some time to actually work on some DF related things at home.  I
wanted to install Gallery [0] so I could share some pics to family members (the
other reason was that my DF box ran Gallery back in the pre-1.2 days).
Happily, I found Gallery isn't in pkgsrc.  The source install consists of a
bunch of php files, so I was fine with that.

During the installation process, Gallery asks for a database connection.
Thinking I had PostgreSQL [1] installed, I tried to run it against that.  To my
surprise I discovered that this box only had the client, not the server,
installed.  I completed a source install of /usr/pkgsrc/postgresql80-server and
tried to run it.

At this point, I discovered that pkgsrc does not install *any* PostgreSQL
startup files.  I have a bunch of sample config files in /usr/pkg/share/
postgresql, but nothing that looks like a startup.  I'm also assuming that the
config files are supposed to go in /usr/pkg/etc/postgresql.

My question is whether anyone out there has a PostgreSQL (8.0) HOWTO?  I tried
the combinations "pkgsrc postgresql howto" and "netbsd postgresql howto" on
Google [2] but neither returned anything remotely useful.  Heck, at this point
I'd appreciate just some general pointers/clarifications.

As many of you know, I'm quite content writing a HOWTO (and slaving through the
labor of what works and what doesn't) from scratch.  I'm just trying to figure
out far "scratch" actually is.

Thanks,

Adrian

[0] http://gallery.sourceforge.net/