KDE on DFly & question about firmware

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 19:13:54 PDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 30. August 2006 17:52 schrieb Jonathon McKitrick:
> Two questions that will determine if I try DFly on my new laptop:
>
> 1.  I see a lot of KDE users here.  Does KDE work better that Gnome on
> DFly?
Jonathan,

I don't know, if KDE works "better" than Gnome. but it works good for me. The
onliest thing I'm missing is a native battery monitor. There's has been one
developed by DesktopBSD, but unfortunately, it's not available in pkgsrc. I'm
using gkrellm for battery monitoring.
> 2.  Is it a lot of work getting the firmware working for Centrino
> wireless?
>
> Last winter, I got a new laptop and gave up trying to get DFly to run.  It
> was mostly the wireless firmware that gave me fits figuring out how to
> upload. There were broken links trying to find all the utils I needed... it
> was a huge pain.  Plus, ubuntu 'just worked'.
I use an ipw2200 (second generation Centrino), and it works. The driver for
this chip is integrated in the DFly sourcecode (the module is if_iwi), the
firmware for the WLAN adapter can be installed via pkgsrc. You can find a
howto in our wiki. There are some little problems:
1. I ping in  30-second-intervalls to an address in my WLAN from my notebook
(ping -i 30), otherwise I lose connection after a while.
Please try:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/if_iwi.c.diff
See whether it helps.

Best Regards,