ftpd is slow

Eugene communique at vk.kharkov.ua
Mon Oct 30 06:44:53 PST 2006

Eli Green wrote:
Is your FTP daemon doing reverse DNS lookups on an unfindable address?
That can significantly slow the connection down.
So, does FTP daemon look for addresses like 192.168.1.1 in a DNS base by
default? And how can I turn this off?
By the way, my DNS replies very slowly, too, and I have a problem with
my provider's DNS, because the last one drops about 30% of my machine's
requests.

I have an ftpd on both my server machines, one is running FreeBSD 4.7
and the pther one is running DragonFlyBSD 1.6.0.
The problem is that ftp replies on requests with a great delay in
both cases. The delay is about one minute, and there is no matter,
if the request came from a local network or from the Internet.
The CPU load of those machines is <10 %, and network load is rather
small too.