Site layout suggestion

Tom Davis subscriber at greyshirt.net
Wed Oct 25 03:27:10 PDT 2006

Greetings,

On 2006 Oct 25, at 4:19 am, Erik Wikström wrote:
Saw a page just the other day where the amount of columns adapted
to the resolution and textsize dynamically, so when I increased the
fontsize the number of columns decreased.
Do you happen to know the url of that site? As useful as it obviously
would be, there is no CSS2.1 attribute that will reflow a block of
text into multiple columns. It is certainly possible to intercept
window resize events and use javascript to move words of text between
DIVs to balance them and add new columns as necessary, but there is
no way I know of to intercept user changes of text size (Firefox &
Safari) or Zoom level (Opera) so I'd be very interested in seeing how
someone else did it. That could be a real boon.

Of course, the site is probably flash, which is proprietary and not
well supported on the BSDs.

Thanks!

	-- Tom Davis