Network Slowdowns?

Jonas Trollvik jontro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 10:42:21 PDT 2006

Might add that we've been using 3com 905b on all our servers with good
results. This is a reliable card + the bsd drivers have had a great
support for this particular card.
On 10/8/06, Freddie Cash <fcash-ml at xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, October 7, 2006 3:19 am, Bill Hacker wrote:
> Jamie wrote:
> *SNIP* (all details already posted)
>
>> (I use 3Com on all machines)
> Without digressing into decades of *why*, I can just about guarantee
> that replacing the offending card with almost-anything-else, from
> el-cheapo Realtek to Gig-E Intel, probable exception of anything-SiS,
> will cure the problem without further ado.
[snip]

> We *always* replace 3Com on general principal when encountered, and
> at our own (not client) expense. Not about right or wrong, its about
> what works *always* and what doesn't always work.
>
> The time saved the past dozen years has been more than worth the very
> modest cost of replacement NIC's.  Life is too short .... etc.
Odd, we do the exact opposite, replacing all non-3Com NICs we come
across with 3Com NICs, for the exact same reason you do:  to get
something that we know works, and works reliably.  :)
For Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD, the only NICs that we found to work
well are 3Com 3C905B and 3C905C series NICs.
D-Link, NetGEAR, RealTek, even a lot of Intel chipsets have given us
grief in the past.  Since standardising on 3Com, we haven't had any
problems.
Now we just need to find a good, solid, GigE chipset.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-2 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at xxxxxxxxxx