silo overflows -- what can I do about this?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Oct 20 23:31:30 PDT 2006

:
:Joseph Garcia wrote:
: > It connects and I can log in and enter commands. The problem pops up
: > when receiving a lot of data quickly from the device (i.e. when I'm
: > writing the configuration to the terminal).
:
:Maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but your
:description sounds like it could be a problem with
:flow control or handshaking.  Dit you try to enable
:it on your serial port?  stty(1) has several options
:for that (note that you must apply them to the lock-
:state device or initial-state device, otherwise they
:might be reset on the next open of the actual device;
:see sio(4) for details).
:
:Just an idea.  Sorry if the problem is somewhere else.
:
:Best regards
:   Oliver

    Probably wouldn't be a good idea to program a cisco to use
    hardware flow control on the console port.  I have a cisco
    too and telnet is basically the way to go.  You just set up the
    firewall rules to only allow connections from a single internal host.

    Cisco's can also talk TFTP.  So, e.g. with my little cisco

    ! copy tftp://blah.blah.blah.blah/some/path/filename running-config
    !
    ! Primary incoming filter for T1
    [ config commands ]

    And I just cut-and-pate the copy line into the cisco and it pulls the
    config via TFTP.

    --

    The 16550A can't do hardware flow control (CTS/RTS based flow
    control) in hardware, it's actually done by the interrupt handler

    Serial ports are being used less and less.  I use a modem
    only very occassionally these days.  I haven't had any problem
    running PPP over the modem at 19200 but I know for a fact that there
    *ARE* interrupt latency issues in DragonFly that have not been
    addressed that could well be responsible for lost characters on a
    tty.  While I want to fix the latency issues, it's near dead last
    on my list of important things to do.

    I someone else wants to investigate the latency issues DragonFly does
    have a utility called pctrack (man pctrack) which works with kernels
    compiled with DEBUG_PCTRACK.  This utility is a very low level utility
    and would be difficult to use by a non-programmer, and even then it
    would be difficult to use.  It tries to record the PC as of when
    a statistics clock interrupt occurs.  The idea is that areas of
    code which entail very long interrupt latencies will record the PC
    as of the crit_exit() that finally allowed interrupts to be processed
    again.  Unfortunately it doesn't work as well as I would like and
    more often then not the PC's recorded are not useful in helping track
    down latency issues.