Where to place compiler flags for world?

Thomas E. Zander riggs at rrr.de
Wed Oct 18 02:07:50 PDT 2006

Am Wed, dem 18. Oct 2006, um  8:41 +0000 Uhr schrubte Oliver Fromme
zum Thema [Re: Where to place compiler flags for world?]:

> Hm.  I assumed that -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing was safe to
> use with the newer gcc that DragonFly has (as opposed to
> the old 2.9.x one of FreeBSD 4).  Am I wrong?  (It has
> been FreeBSD's default on 5.x and 6.x for ages.)

Personally, I don't consider -O2 safe for kernel builds on the gcc-3
shipped with FreeBSD. On a FreeBSD-6 box I had annoying sound glitches
every now and then[1] which disappeared when reverting to -O for the
kernel. I would be surprised if there weren't any other issues.

Riggs

[1] That was on a laptop with onboard sound and 6.0, more than a year
ago and I haven't built another -O2 kernel since I noticed that
behaviour, so I can't say if it's still a problem with current
releases.

--
- Now the world has gone to bed  | Now I lay me down to sleep        -
-- Darkness won't engulf my head | Try to count electric sheep      --