DRI with ATI graphics chip

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sun Oct 15 13:51:45 PDT 2006

Tiv wrote:
Thomas Schlesinger wrote:

Hi,

I've seen, there's a drm module in the source code.
I use an ATI Mobility X600 PCIe chip in my notebook. I've loaded the
radeon.ko module and have an empty directory /dev/dri, but the
Xorg.0.log tells me:
[..]
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
[..]

Can somebody please point me to a documentation about setting up
DRM/DRI or give me some hints?

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi there Thomas ---

   Sorry, but to my understanding, anything ATI newer than Radeon 9200
series (Rv280) does not have the native kernel level support for DRI/DRM
under Xorg running on any BSD or linux.
There are proprietary (binary) drivers for Linux available from ATI
which possibly support DRI or video acceleration features, but these
drivers are generally reported/regarded as poor in quality and may be
unstable under some linux distributions. YMMV.
Perhaps we should urge AMD (when they complete the takeover of ATI) to
open the documentation to linux and BSD developers.
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but your understanding is incorrect.
 There are open source 3D drivers for everything up to, and including,
the Radeon X850 in the Mesa source tree (and Xorg 7.1, possibly
earlier).  Anything newer than the Radeon 9250 is still considered
relatively experimental, but it is certainly functional enough of linux
and FreeBSD to play a couple rounds of doom3 or quake4.

My guess is that there just hasn't been a recent update to the radeon
drm code in DragonFly.

Adam