Spurious results from using cvsup?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Oct 29 08:40:37 PST 2006

:I discovered that using cvsup on DF-current will give some
:stragely wrong results while updating my pkgsrc tree, but
:no error messages of any kind.
:
:One notable example:
:
: Checkout pkgsrc/misc/gnome-user-docs/DESCR
: Checkout pkgsrc/misc/gnome-user-docs/Makefile
: Checkout pkgsrc/misc/gnome-user-docs/PLIST
: Checkout pkgsrc/misc/gnome-user-docs/distinfo
:
:...
:
:I'm wondering how many other errors may be slipping
:past without any error messages to alert me.
:
:I'm using cvsup from cvsup-bootstrap-20051229.tgz which
:(IIRC) I got from Corecode's package repository.
:
:Can anyone else confirm this result?

    My guess is that they performed some CVS surgery to rename
    gnom2-user-docs to gnome-user-docs and it wound up confusing
    cvsup.

    I normally do not cvsup source checkouts.  Instead I cvsup the
    CVS repository itself and then do the checkout manually.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>