updating from 1.6.2 to 1.7.x

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Thu Oct 26 14:02:53 PDT 2006

On 2006-10-26 22:29, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
I would update DragonFly 1.6.2 to 1.7.x.
How can I update from 1.6.2 to latest devel version?
If you want the absolute bleeding edge you'll have to download the
source-code, compile and install. The handbook describes the process
quite well: leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~justin/handbook/updating.html

Actually this is much easier than it sounds, but it can take some time
to compile the world and kernel. What you do is that as root run:

# cvsup -h <host> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-src-supfile

where <host> is any of the mirrors offering cvsup-access from the list
at www.dragonflybsd.org's download-section.

When that is done you do

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# make installworld
# make upgrade
and then reboot, and you're done.

Alternatively, you could (I think) download a snapshot ISO and install
(I've never done this, so I don't know how well it works). A list of
sites from where you can download a snapshot can be found at
www.dragonflybsd.org in the download-section.

--
Erik Wikström