Xen vs VMware

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Oct 18 13:02:36 PDT 2006

:On 10/18/06, Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:>     Generally speaking I prefer the VMWare concept over the Xen concept.
:>     Xen actually has to run two operating systems, one serving as the
:>     master and the other as the 'guest' OS, and this compounds the
:>     number of potential bugs you might run into a lot more then a machine
:>     emulator does.
:
:The master and guest relationship exists inside the VMWare model as
:well.  I don't see how Xen is any more or less bug prone.  They are
:just two approaches at acheiving the exact same goal.  And with the
:new VT hardware, guest operating systems no longer need to be Xen
:aware or ported.
:
:As an aside has anyone tried using DragonFly under Xen with the VT
:enabled hardware?
:
:-Kevink
:
:--
:Kevin L. Kane
:kevin.kane at gmail.com

    Yes, that's very true.  I suppose the approach I favor the most is the
    one I am taking with the DragonFly virtualization work... that is,
    running the virtualized kernel as a standard user process linked against
    libc, with only very minimal support required from the 'real' kernel
    to allow the virtual kernel to manage the VM contexts for its own
    'user' processes.  That way you don't actually have to learn to admin
    two different operating systems.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>