filesystem hierarchy

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Nov 14 11:45:22 PST 2006

>     I would personally like pkgsrc to have the ability to install multiple
>     versions of a package, but that is support that the pkgsrc people would
>     have to add, not us.

That feature existed a couple years ago. It is called "pkgviews". And I
used it myself. It was experimental and not widely used. Over the past
year, some changes broke it. (I don't know what.) Nobody noticed (at least
nobody publicly mentioned it) until I reported it a month or two ago.

I think the support for installing multiple versions of a package will be
coming back soon.

As it is now, someone can easily have multiple PKG_DBDIR (default
/var/db/pkg) and LOCALBASE (default /usr/pkg) to have multiple
installations of same package. Some pkgsrc users already use that. And
just adjust symlinks to /usr/pkg and/or adjust users' PATH (and MANPATH)
as needed. The minor problem is you may have multiple copies of identical
dependencies.