italian community

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 29 09:33:16 PST 2006

    Well, this is my position:  We are a fairly small project and I want
    to keep the management of things like the web site as simple as possible.
    I have not had to touch the mailing list or news server code at all in
    well over a year and I want to keep it that way.

    That said, I certainly don't mind adding language-specific mailing lists
    to our existing set.  e.g. I would be happy to create a list by the
    name of 'italian-users at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'.  I am a bit less excited about
    running lists or forums on web sites that are beyond the control of the
    core machines, but at least insofar as language glue goes I don't mind
    putting pointers on our main site to these other places.

    Internationalization of the main site is a bit more problematic.  The
    problem isn't the internationalization itself, but the additional
    maintainance burden that represents to the primarily english-centric
    maintainers of the site.  I know, for example, that FreeBSD has always
    had an effort to create other language versions of its handbook, but
    the results have always seemed rather mixed with regards to actually
    being able to maintain all those other languages.

    Maybe a magic bullet will come our way and things like Babelfish will
    evolve to the point where it is all a moot point (non-commercially
    speaking, that is, since real time translation already exists in
    commercial arenas).