"Scheduling while atomic"

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Tue Nov 21 08:51:23 PST 2006

On 2006-11-21 00:11, walt wrote:
What I really need/want, I guess, is a kernel-hacking-for-dummies
handbook so that I can understand the problems, at least, even if
I can't contribute any solutions.
I would recommend that you find yourself a book about operating systems
in general and read through, then you'll get at least an overview of
what the different parts do, how they work together and how they work.
After that, if you still want to learn more, you can get The Design and
Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System. While FreeBSD is quite
different from DF in many places it still gives a deeper understanding
of many of the common concepts.

I've read (most parts of) Operating Systems by Stallings, and Operating
System Concepts by Silberschatz, Galvin & Gagne. I don't know if they
are particularly good or bad, Andrew Tanenbaum has also written some
book or two on the subject.

Oh, and keep asking questions, I want the answers too. :-)

--
Erik Wikström