HEAD stability

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:52:47 PST 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    If it turns into a flamefest I will terminate the topic (but I haven't
    said I'd do it yet).  Lets try to keep things on topic.
Regarding OBSD: I always intended to criticise them carefully here (and
only here :-P).

    My recommendation is to wait until we release in January before moving.
    While HEAD at this very moment may be stable, a lot of work is going
    into it and there is no guarentee that it will remain that way.
    For example, it is still unclear how the uname changes will effect
    pkgsrc.  And, for example, in the next day or two I will be replacing
    the VM page hash table with per-object Red-Black trees.
Ah, well, I actually wanted to carefully gather info on the actual
state, I do not want to keep up with it, just a stable snapshot is what
i need, because the changes in the network driver code affect me
heavily. PREVIEW has been running stable for me, but e. g. the whole
source tree has been rearranged since then.