about cvsup and supfile...

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Fri Nov 17 15:03:18 PST 2006

On 2006-11-17 18:32, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
I want update DFly with cvsup, but I want to optimize
the upgrade operation. I don't want to upgrade all
system, but only kernel and some application.
1 - Is it possible to set cvsup for thos operation?
2 - How can I find howto about supfile?
I believe that there are a sup-file for only the kernel sources, however
if you want to upgrade an application you'll have to upgrade the whole
world too. Depending on how old your kernel sources are you might need a
new world to be able to use the new kernel too, I'm not sure about that.

However, if you already have quite recent sources on your computer than
using cvsup will be quite efficient even if you download both world and
kernel, since it only download that which has changed.

As for learning about cvsup, there really is not much to it. Take a look
in /usr/share/examples/cvsup, there you'll find a couple of different
sup-files ready for use that will download different things (you can
open them with an editor if you want). Then, when you have found one
that suits your needs, you run
#cvsup -h <host> /path/to/sup-file
To find a host near you take a look at www.dragonflybsd.org in the
download section.

If you don't have any recent sources you might want to download a
snapshot of the sources (find a mirror in the download section) and
extract that on your computer and then run cvsup to update them to the
very latest.

More information can be found in the cvsup manual page (man cvsup):
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=cvsup&section=ANY
You might also be interested in the Updating section in the Handbook:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~justin/handbook/updating.html

--
Erik Wikström