multimedia and desktop

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 10 14:28:42 PST 2006

Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
> I have some questions about multimedia and desktop:

> 2) How can I enable screensaver in X (especially Fluxbox)?

I strongly favor using the power-saving DPMS feature of your
monitor instead of using xscreensaver.  DPMS will save power
by blanking the screen and it will not waste CPU cycles to
draw useless junk on your screen.

This is the relevant part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
	<other stuff snipped>
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

You can see your current DPMS settings by using the 'xset'
command-line utility:  just type 'xset q' at an xterm prompt.

Try 'man xorg.conf' and search on 'timeout' for more information.

> 4) How can I try automatically gkrellm and other tools
> over Fluxbox in DragonFly?

I haven't tried gkrellm on DragonFly, but if it tries to
measure things like CPU load, memory usage, network traffic
and other kernel-related things, it may not work correctly
yet with DragonFly.  I don't know if anyone has done the
needed modifications to that package.  Anyone else know?