Problem with 'core pointer' (Xorg)

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Nov 9 07:19:50 PST 2006

On Thu, November 9, 2006 9:55 am, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
> I have a problem with X server.
> I type startx, but fluxbox don't start, it gives a problem with 'core
> pointer'
> I attached my configuration files for X11.

Your core pointer is the item configured as "Mouse1" in xorg.conf in the
ServerLayout section:

    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Which uses the device "/dev/mouse"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto" # Auto detect
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

Which causes the error here in your log:

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
        No such file or directory.
(EE) Mouse1: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"

(Searching for "EE" in the xorg.0.log file is usually an easy way to find
out what went wrong.)

Try:

        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"