Using pkgsrc versus maintaining software the "old fashioned" way

Kevin L. Kane kevin.kane at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:21:11 PST 2006

I was looking around the source and I couldn't help but notice that
many things are maintained in the DF cvs repository that could be
maintained by pkgsrc instead.  Just install them as packages right off
the CD and then the way I see it you let pkgsrc worry about updating
some random contrib software.  Examples include: top, binutils,
sendmail(or postfix).  Is there any reason why its preferable to
maintain the stuff in DF by hand instead of relying more on pkgsrc?
-Kevink

--
Kevin L. Kane
kevin.kane at gmail.com