DragonFly on a Intel G965 Mainboard

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Nov 13 02:03:34 PST 2006

Hello all,

after working and developing on MacOS 9, Mac OS X, IRIX and AIX for
some 15 years I recently decided to assemble a "generic Intel" box:
E6400 processor, Intel DG965SS Mainboard, 0.5 GB RAM, SATA, Ethernet
and X3000 Graphics on board, latest BIOS installed. While Windows
2000 installed just fine, I've yet to get some flavour of BSD or
Linux running. DragonFly appears to be the most appealing OS out of
the bunch, so I'd like to take a deeper look into the failures here.

The trouble is obviously the presence of a lot of hardware more
modern than the distros available. FreeBSD 6 boots up to where I can
partition drives, but then fails to "find" the cd it runs off. Gentoo
Linux runs up to the graphical UI with "gentoo acpi=off all-generic-
ide irqpoll debug" parameters given to the kernel, but fails to
install something, then.

Now DragonFly. If I attempt to boot the default kernel or the acpi-
off kernel from the 1.6 release, the last lines read:

**WARNING** waiting for the following device to finish configuring:
  xpt:  func=0xc014cd31 arg=0
(repeated 4 times)
Giving up, interrupt routing is probably hosed
Mounting root from cd9660:cd0c
no such device 'cd'
setrootbyname failed
iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6
(... similar for cd9660:acd0c, cd9660:cd1c, cd9660:acd1c and cd9660:/
dev/acd0a)

Then the boot hangs.

My question is: is there some option to run not only the bootloader,
but the entire OS off BIOS drivers? If not, how would I go to add
such support?

Thanks,
Markus
Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter