Any serious production servers yet?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed May 31 13:25:15 PDT 2006

:Here's a question for Matt, will dual-core
:designed chips (as opposed to chips with 2
:independent cores on once chip) be used on an UP
:OS as a single core? Say if I wanted to use a
:dual-core chip on Freebsd 4.x in UP mode since
:SMP sucks wind? Or do the cores designed as
:dual-core with the shared caches require that
:both be used?
:
:DT

    Sure.  You can always choose to use just one of the cpu's.  Or,
    alternatively, if we were to implement the userland scheduler
    cpu masking feature that was discussed recently, one could run
    MP but partition the use of the cpus.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>