Any serious production servers yet?

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Tue May 30 11:52:44 PDT 2006

Danial Thom wrote:
<cut>
As of NOW, the price differential between a
single core 2.6ghz Opteron and a dual-core one is
about 120%. I can't think of many applications
that are going to push a 2.6Ghz opteron that
justify spending more than twice as much. Of
course that's all going to change in a few months
when AMD loses their advantage. I don't see the
point of using a dual-core 2.0 when I can get
equal performance from a single 2.6 for less
money. So the price drops so far are meaningless,
given the OS's ability to utilize the cpus.
DT

I think you hit the nail with that one, the only reason I going to buy
an AMD x2 is because xp feels more responsive, for all the other things,
since the 1ghz barrier was broken anything (for my usage) was fast
enough, of course this is desktop usage, on my servers I recently have
used VMWare to centralize a lot of servers (9) to a quad cpu machine
because most of them where eating out of there nose anyway. Saves me a
fortune in electricity ;-) I am eager to see how ever how xen would
develop out with using the new virtualization technique in both the
newer AMD and Intel CPU's. I for one like to ditch VMWare.

--
mph