[OT] C pointers: BSD versus Linux?

Jason Watson jwatson at slashopt.net
Wed May 31 15:48:31 PDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
I can not agree with this.  BSD malloc() (or better: free()) is
much more conservative, and lately our default even changed to
abort on double free()s.  A lot of buggy software has double free()
s and I think glibc doesn't even complain per default.
Simon appears to be correct, and I appear to be wrong. It seems that
the BSD malloc/free stuff changed at some point.  Excerpt from the
malloc man page on a 6.1 FreeBSD install:

"A side effect of this architecture is that many minor transgressions on
     the interface which would traditionally not be detected are in
fact
     detected.  As a result, programs that have been running happily
for years
     may suddenly start to complain loudly, when linked with this
allocation
     implementation."

Many apologies for passing along inaccurate information. Anyway know
when this changed?

Signed,
Jason Watson.Attachment:
smime.p7s