Newbie scsi question

Karthik Subramanian karthik301176 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:47:10 PDT 2006

Hi Hans,

udev is not a fix to this, it is the cause. You actually can use udev
to get stable device nodes. Most distros don't care, though. The linux
kernel provides a stable addressing in sysfs. udev should be configured
to use this and not just enumerate serially. So the problem isn't there
"in the first place". Device node creation is already a userland task
in linux and I can't see nothing wrong with that.
Possible bad choice of words on my part - what I meant to say was this
- you *have* to configure udev under linux - perhaps write a udev rule
that says "if the device id is such-and-such, then make the device
accessible by this name". You don't need to do that under Solaris,
it's solved much more elegantly. At least, for self-identifying
devices.
This will probably be a design question for dfbsd as well for the devfs
reimplementation: What gets done in the kernel and what's left for
userland when it gets to device naming?
I for one will be eagerly awaiting the answer to this question :)

Cheers,
K.